Fewer Valley families go to Millerton Lake due to Rim Fire smoke
MILLERTON LAKE, Calif. (KFSN) -- Despite the heat, many Valley families are spending Labor Day weekend outdoors. Park officials say fewer people went to Millerton Lake Sunday after several days of bad air quality.
Over the past several days the sky over Millerton Lake has been smoky because of the Rim Fire. Park Rangers say there are fewer people than usual at the lake because of the air quality.
The windy weather and cool water is a huge draw on hot holiday weekends.
"It's just fun because we have had a lot of memories out here boating with family and friends," Kyle Urquhart from Fresno said.
Nine-year-old Kyle and his family love spending time at Millerton Lake. Labor Day weekend is one of busiest times of the year at Millerton Lake. Park rangers saw a dip in visitors over the past several days as the Rim Fire raged on.
"Friday we had the smoke kind of settle in here by the lake it was hazy, you couldn't see across the lake and then by today, it's just been beautiful. No haze, there's no smog in the air," Sgt. Mark De Leon, form California State Parks said.
Those who showed up at Millerton Lake Sunday were thrilled about the bright blue sky.
"Looked outside and it's looks great! We're going to have a good day," Scott Urquhart, from Fresno said.
Throughout the day patrol rangers stopped anyone speeding and educated people on water safety. They are urging everyone on a boat to wear a life vest.
Park rangers are asking everyone who comes to the lake to pay attention to all the water signs. Remember Millerton Lake gets very deep so if you can't swim stay out of the water, and if you have young children make sure they are supervised at all times.
millerton lake, fresno county, local, mariana jacob
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County 6 min ago
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian 22 min ago
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls