Last Game for the Fresno Grizzlies
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- After some healthy weekend crowds, the last game of the season at Chukchansi Park was a bit of a letdown for long time fans like Don Howard of Porterville.
"I'm shocked they don't have a good crowd here today. Had a good crowd Saturday night but I'm shocked they don't have more today. It's the last game of the season, go figure,"Howard said.
Exact numbers aren't in but Grizzlies Marketing Manager Drew Vertiz says numbers are up over last year. "The season has been really good for us this year. We've had a lot of great promotions out here, the fans came out in droves, we had a really exciting time and we are looking forward to 2014. "
The team owners are believed to be about a million dollars behind in payments to the city, but expect to catch up as all the accounts are tallied up over the next month. However, The City Council's top numbers cruncher, Lee Brand is concerned, and is hoping rumors that investors are looking to sell the team are true.
"I think the city would be better with some fresh blood there," Brand said.
Vertiz says some investors may be looking to sell out, but the team is not for sale and has new ideas for next season, and is making progress on its obligations to the city.
"They are working on it as always and we are looking forward to our 2014 season, we are planning on being here," Vertiz said.
Their financial troubles can be traced to their lease with the city, which at $750,000 a year. It remains the most expensive in minor league baseball.
The Grizzlies lost a few more games than they won this year, but the record does not trouble fan Brad Fogelsberg who says he has been to most home games.
"Oh they did a great year, a great year. You gotta remember the job here is to have them ready to play in the pros and they've done great this year," Fogelsberg said.
Whatever is ahead, the end of this season is a sad day for many who have enjoyed the team and the ball park.
"We're gonna miss it. We have season tickets we are going to miss it a bunch," Howard said.
fresno, fresno central, fresno grizzlies, local, gene haagenson
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back 5 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer 12 min ago
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant 47 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get...
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos