Officer involved shooting in East Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- One man is in critical condition this midday after being shot multiple times by a police officer.
Just before 1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning police were called to an apartment complex in East Central Fresno for a family disturbance.
Family members of the suspect say the man was acting bizarre and they were concerned for his well being. An officer arrived on the scene, and found the suspect and two family members in a car in the alley.
"When the officer made contact, or was walking to make contact with the family members, that's when the suspect suddenly left the vehicle and began to run toward the officer with a knife in his hand," said Pat Farmer, Fresno Deputy Police Chief.
Police say that's when the officer fired at the suspect. When the suspect came after the officer again, the officer fired his gun again.
The suspect was taken to Community Regional Medical Center where he is in critical condition.
The officer was not seriously hurt and is on paid administrative leave while detectives investigate. Fresno Police are not releasing the name of the suspect or officer at this time. It's not clear if drugs or alcohol played a role.
officer involved shooting, fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, local
- One person killed in Fresno County crash 17 min ago
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates