Officer involved shooting in East Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- One man is in critical condition this midday after being shot multiple times by a police officer.
Just before 1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning police were called to an apartment complex in East Central Fresno for a family disturbance.
Family members of the suspect say the man was acting bizarre and they were concerned for his well being. An officer arrived on the scene, and found the suspect and two family members in a car in the alley.
"When the officer made contact, or was walking to make contact with the family members, that's when the suspect suddenly left the vehicle and began to run toward the officer with a knife in his hand," said Pat Farmer, Fresno Deputy Police Chief.
Police say that's when the officer fired at the suspect. When the suspect came after the officer again, the officer fired his gun again.
The suspect was taken to Community Regional Medical Center where he is in critical condition.
The officer was not seriously hurt and is on paid administrative leave while detectives investigate. Fresno Police are not releasing the name of the suspect or officer at this time. It's not clear if drugs or alcohol played a role.
officer involved shooting, fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, local
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father
- Free dental care to be offered in Fresno