Prosecutors: Multiple knives used in Melanie Pate murder
HANFORD, Calif. (KFSN) -- The 42-year-old Hanford mother was found dead in the couple's backyard pool on Labor Day. Her husband, Todd Pate pled not guilty Friday morning.
Prosecutors say the charges make Todd Pate eligible for the death penalty, although it is too early to tell if that will actually happen. They said he is being treated differently from other defendants as he was brought to court from the Kings County Jail here by himself.
Once in court-the judge asked the 50-year-old defendant if he understood the charges against him. Pate replied "not exactly." The judge then said he's facing a murder charge with the special circumstances, being that the crime was heinous and involved torture.
Melanie Pate's friends were also in court Friday morning wearing shirts and a purple ribbon for domestic violence. While prosecutors did not want to elaborate on the facts of the case, they did say more than one knife was used in the murder, and that Todd Pate is being given special care.
"There have been some suicide concerns, I don't know the exact issue of what raised those, but certainly there's mental issues at this point in time," said Larry Crouch, Kings County Deputy District Attorney.
Hanford Police had not been called to the Pate's home before the Labor Day murder. Friends have said Melanie Pate had asked for a divorce and that Todd Pate had recently been served with the paperwork.
The case will be back in court next week.
hanford, kings county, murder, court, local, stephanie stone
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
- Valley thieves target truck tailgates
- Valley thieves steal packages from front doors
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos