Gathering held to remember Fresno father and son shot to death in Oakland
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Family members of a Fresno father and baby who were shot to death in the Bay Area gathered Saturday to keep their memories alive. Saturday would have been Andrew Thomas's 21st birthday. Thomas and his 1-year-old boy were killed in Oakland last month.
To an outsider the family that gathered to remember Andrew Thomas looked like any other family at a barbecue. Children were playing on a hot summer day while parents caught up nearby. However, there were painful reminders of the real reason everyone got together on Saturday.
"It's hard being that it is his birthday, his 21st birthday, something he was looking forward to but it never happened," Andrew's mother Shieda Ridley said.
Ridley lost both her son and grandson last month. And investigators say Andrew Thomas and his one year old baby, Drew were asleep in and East Oakland home when shots were fired from the outside.
Andrew died at the scene. Relatives say the baby was shot in the head and passed away at the hospital.
"There are no words to explain how you feel when you lose a child," Ridley said.
Drew's mother came to Fresno for the gathering from the Bay Area. She and other family members are frustrated investigators have not caught anyone.
"They have a few leads, it goes in one direction and then it takes them in another direction but they still don't have anything yet," Ridley said.
They are now asking anyone with any information that could lead to an arrest to come forward and call Oakland Police.
oakland, fresno, shooting, crimetracker, local, mariana jacob
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting 54 min ago
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera 29 min ago
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos