Church located in the heart of a Fresno homeless encampment get evicted
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The City of Fresno began clearing its final homeless encampment along H Street in Downtown Fresno Monday morning. Among the shelters a church was also given notice to pack up.
A worn bible, lawn chairs and pieces of plywood with scriptures are part of a church situated in the heart of a homeless encampment in Downtown Fresno.
"Every day is a big day for me when I take the podium, but today it was touching for me," Pastor Ray Polk with the Homeless Ministry said.
Pastor Ray Polk spoke his last sermon to his homeless congregants. Plagued with violence and unsanitary conditions earlier this year the city ordered several homeless encampments to be demolished.
"It's very emotional. It's heartbreaking," Polk said.
But it wasn't just the homeless, Polk's church and its memorial, were also given an eviction notice.
"I told the city I can't defy God. I can't tear down what he had me put up. So if you want it down, you take it down," Polk said.
He says while the city's actions may have taken away the homes, it won't stop him.
"And I will continue to do his will. They won't break my faith I'm on a mission," Polk said. Polk is on a mission to minister to the homeless no matter where they go.
fresno, fresno county, fresno downtown, homeless, local, amanda venegas
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto 10 min ago
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Murderer apologizes for killing pregnant woman
- Mother of 2-year-old that died faces felony charges
- Who will be Mayor?
- Residents concerned over proposed chemical warehouse
- 16th-century manual shows 'rocket cat' weaponry
- Buchanan High percussionist to play at Carnegie Hall
- Photos: Selfless acts that will brighten your day
- Fresno mayor seeks state controller position