Merced detectives investigate 2nd murder in just days
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- Workers found the victim's body in an almond orchard on Buchanan Hollow Road near Minturn Road in the Le Grand area Monday morning. The sheriff says it appears the man was shot to death, but it's not clear yet if he was murdered in the orchard, or if someone left him there after he was killed.
Detectives began searching through an almond orchard Monday morning as a man's body lay on the ground, not far from Buchanan Hollow Road. Merced County Sheriff Mark Pazin says farmworkers called 911 after making the disturbing discovery.
"We believe at this point in time, we had our forensic pathologist here, that whatever did occur happened sometime early this morning," Pazin said.
Authorities say it appears the victim died from gunshot wounds to the torso, but they are still piecing together where the murder happened.
"It's still a bit premature to speculate whether it was a body dump or if this person was shot and killed here," Pazin said.
This is the second homicide case in Merced County in the past four days. A fisherman found a man's body in the Merced River near Hatfield State Recreation area Thursday night. That victim was also shot in the torso. Investigators believe he was killed at a different location before someone tossed his body over a bridge.
"Now I don't want this to be connected it was we believe two independents event," Pazin said.
The major crimes unit is searching for answers, and suspects in both murders.
The identities of both homicide victims have not been released at this point. The man found today is described as being in his late 20s or early 30s. Investigators hope more information will be revealed during an autopsy.
merced, merced county, homicide, crimetracker, local, sara sandrik
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos