Merced detectives investigate 2nd murder in just days
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- Workers found the victim's body in an almond orchard on Buchanan Hollow Road near Minturn Road in the Le Grand area Monday morning. The sheriff says it appears the man was shot to death, but it's not clear yet if he was murdered in the orchard, or if someone left him there after he was killed.
Detectives began searching through an almond orchard Monday morning as a man's body lay on the ground, not far from Buchanan Hollow Road. Merced County Sheriff Mark Pazin says farmworkers called 911 after making the disturbing discovery.
"We believe at this point in time, we had our forensic pathologist here, that whatever did occur happened sometime early this morning," Pazin said.
Authorities say it appears the victim died from gunshot wounds to the torso, but they are still piecing together where the murder happened.
"It's still a bit premature to speculate whether it was a body dump or if this person was shot and killed here," Pazin said.
This is the second homicide case in Merced County in the past four days. A fisherman found a man's body in the Merced River near Hatfield State Recreation area Thursday night. That victim was also shot in the torso. Investigators believe he was killed at a different location before someone tossed his body over a bridge.
"Now I don't want this to be connected it was we believe two independents event," Pazin said.
The major crimes unit is searching for answers, and suspects in both murders.
The identities of both homicide victims have not been released at this point. The man found today is described as being in his late 20s or early 30s. Investigators hope more information will be revealed during an autopsy.
merced, merced county, homicide, crimetracker, local, sara sandrik
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2 53 min ago
- Reward raised to $100K to find Ryan Rodriquez
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Local heroes honored for bravery in Fresno
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- Accuweather Forecast
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos