Two Valley Catholic schools continue tradition despite rain
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Several outdoor events continued Saturday despite the storm that passed through the Central Valley. Hundreds of people were at San Joaquin Memorial's football field to watch the team take on Garces Memorial High School.
It was a chilly, Saturday night football game at San Joaquin Memorial. Fans brought sweaters, blankets and caps and umbrellas just in case.
"I've done many, many years of football, I know when it's cold I see the rain and I head for the car," San Joaquin Memorial fan Monica Rivera said.
Aside from low temps, weather wasn't much of a factor for fans. But Mother Nature made some noise Saturday afternoon. Winds were blowing in Northeast Fresno rattling branches and leaves. The windblown clouds of dust and dirt over Fresno concerned some CHP officers.
"The wind speeds were some concern we had some severe dust blowing in some areas of the 99 near Ashlan but no accidents because of the weather incidents yet," California Highway Patrol Sgt. Patrick Etchbarne said.
It wasn't just the wind, pockets of rain poured down in parts of the Valley as well.
"We did hear reports of some winds so that was expected but the rain was unexpected," Sgt. Etchbarne said.
Though CHP says Valley drivers did a great job behind the wheel Saturday, they also said winter is coming, and people should brace themselves for more rain, and other weather conditions.
And CHP is reminding drivers to do all their vehicle checks as we head into the winter weather and rain, make sure your windshield wipers are working, your headlights and fog lights. And remember if it's raining to slow down and not to follow so close.
fresno, fresno central, local, anthony pura
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos