Clovis Fest sees record turnout despite canceled hot air balloon launch
CLOVIS, Calif. (KFSN) -- Sunday morning the wind kept hot air balloons grounded at the 39th annual Clovis Fest. The flash of rain startled and worried many vendors at the festival. But despite the weather thousands of people crowded around performances, checked out booths, and sampled tasty treats at the festival in Old Town Clovis.
"It's good people. Good food, just a really good environment here," wrestler Nitro Hawk said.
Like many others who went the Clovis Fest wrestler Nitro Hawk just wanted to enjoy the dip in temperatures. Hawk said it was his way to relax before a big wrestling match.
"I was actually grateful for that weather because it's been so hot here in the Valley," Hawk said.
When we caught up with Heather Follet and her family they were cheering on skaters.
"I wanna skate when I grow up," Savannah Mize from Fresno said.
"It's wonderful. We even had to pull out our jackets and everything. It's nice," Follet said.
At first Follet said her family was caught off-guard by Saturday's showers, and was not sure about attending the Clovis Fest at all this year.
"We were kind of worried it was going to be stormy, but it was nice," Follet said.
Organizers say it was too windy for the much anticipated hot air balloon launch Sunday morning, so they canceled the event. And several venous were also worried because those strong winds nearly knocked over their tents.
"We were just hoping our tent wouldn't fly away. It was awful. All of our merchandise started falling over. We had people going inside the building because there was so much dust in the air," Elsa Wolf with My Crafting Obsession said.
But despite the rainy and windy weather Saturday's storm cleared the skies and cooled down the air.
"It's been wonderful, we actually doubled our sales," Wolf said.
Organizers say more than 30,000 people showed up this year which is up from last year when the festival took place in triple digit temperatures.
clovis, festival, local, mariana jacob
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 31 min ago
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach 10 min ago
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash 44 min ago
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- News conference on missing Malaysia jet
31 min ago
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
18 min ago