Family and friends hold vigil for mother shot to death in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Family and friends gathered Sunday to remember a Fresno mother, who witnesses say, was killed in front of her children. Cynthia Watkins lived and worked in Fresno with her three children. Watkins grew up in Selma, which is where family members held a vigil to honor her.
Family remembers Watkins as a devoted mother and a person with a very big heart. Watkins was one of the two victims in a double-homicide on Fresno. Police say the shooter was the father of her child, who committed suicide after the murders.
Dozens of candlelight's flickered in the dark as family and friends said prayers for Watkins, the victim of a tragedy, remembered as a woman and a mother, taken before her time.
"The way it happened, she didn't deserve it. This is someone you'd think that would've died of natural causes, things like that, you couldn't explain it," Watkins cousin Erica Murphy.
Investigators say that 50-year-old Anthony Jackson killed Watkins in her apartment on Sept. 13. Watkins was the mother of Jackson's daughter. They say Jackson later confronted his neighbor, Jerome Dixon, killed him, and then killed himself. Police say Jackson may have believed the victims were involved in a relationship, but have not been able to confirm that theory.
Sunday night, friends and family weren't focused on Watkins death; they were focused on her life.
"There's a lot to remember about her. Her laugh, her nonchalance's, her ability to make anyone happy," Deonah Ray Watkins, cousin said.
Family members said Watkins worked hard at the IRS to support her three children.
"She loved her children. She went to work every day faithfully, she made sure her children had everything they needed," Erica Murphy.
Watkins kids are in the care of family members.
"I know a lot of people say she was a good person, but she really was a good person. She really is and she is going to be missed," Deonah Ray said.
Family members are raising funds to help for her funeral scheduled for Monday, Sept. 30.
fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, murder-suicide, crimetracker, local, anthony pura
- Car crash knocks doctor's office off its foundation 27 min ago
- Pedestrian killed in Fresno HWY 99 hit and run
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New Adopt-a-Tree Program at Two Sisters U-Pick Apricots
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos