Fatal hit-and-run crash involving children in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police are searching for a person of interest they say was involved in a deadly crash that killed a man, and hurt a child near the intersection of Fruit and McKinley.
Officers are looking for Maurice Fields, 19, but they say it's way too early to call him a suspect.
Witnesses couldn't believe anyone would first crash his car and kill a person, drive away, and then crash again, and leave behind a wounded little boy.
Emergency crews used the Jaws of Life to cut open the car and remove the 9-year-old boy on Wednesday evening. Police believe that boy and another 7-year-old child were in the car when the driver crashed into a pedestrian and killed him. The impact threw the man into a backyard where he died. But the suspect didn't stop there, only a few feet away he crashed into a power pole, and left a nine-year-old boy seriously hurt.
Several witnesses saw the driver carry the 7-year-old out of the car and ask people to help him get away, before he escaped the scene.
"I think it's horrible. If you do a crime you have to pay the time, or explain yourself," said Tracy Gatti, witness.
"It's sad because I have kids myself. So it's sad especially to leave a child there," said Lt. Jose Garza.
Police have the 7-year-old boy who left the scene with the suspect. He had a head injury, but the 9-year-old boy did have severe injuries to his leg.
If you have any information on this you're asked to call police.
crimetracker, hit and run, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local, mariana jacob
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hours after contact drop
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Merced County marijuana grow lands man in jail
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Fresno kidnap, sex assault suspect changes plea 22 min ago
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- Man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- Good Sports: Clovis High baseball