Fresno fatal hit-run suspect is a validated gang member
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are still looking for 19-year-old Maurice Fields, he's a validated gang member who was driving without a license on Wednesday night, when he hit and killed a pedestrian, and injured the two kids who were in his car
Those two kids were taken to the hospital. Police say a 10-year-old boy is in stable but critical condition, and a 7-year-old was released with moderate injuries. The suspect, Maurice Fields, is their uncle.
Residents living near Fruit and McKinley in Central Fresno say it sounded "like screeching tires and brakes and it was going fast."
Neighbors watched as someone got out of the car and then took off. They later realized a child was stuck inside the mangled wreckage, saying "who in their right mind would leave a child behind."
Police say Maurice Fields was driving on Fruit at reckless speeds, even passing other cars before slamming into 50-year-old Loterlo Davis Senior as he tried to cross the street. He then smashed into two power poles before running away, taking one child, and leaving the other in the car.
Capt. Andy Hall, Commander of the Fresno Police Traffic Bureau said, "We believe that the injuries were so substantial to the older boy and the older was trapped in the vehicle that he made a comment to the younger child if he was okay, grabbed that child and fled on foot."
Fields has an extensive criminal history, is a validated gang member and is well known to police. They're now trying to figure out what happened in the hours leading up to the crash.
Capt. Hall told Action News, "It was his birthday on the day of the collision, his 19th birthday so we don't know if there was a party or some type of event prior to the collision".
As for the 50 year old man who was hit while he tried to cross the street, he leaves behind three children and many devastated family members, in an accident that police say is heart breaking.
"A vehicle driven by an unlicensed driver recklessly on our roads leaves the roadway and hits him, completely random and really a tragedy," added Capt. Hall.
When Fields is caught, he'll be charged with felony hit and run, felony vehicular manslaughter and child endangerment.
hit and run, crimetracker, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals