One dead and five injured in Auberry crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- One man is dead, and five people are injured after a motorcycle collided head-on with a car. The fatal crash happened around 2:30 p.m. on Sunday in Fresno County. The accident shut down Auberry Road near Copper Road for more than an hour.
The CHP opened Auberry Road around 4:00 p.m. The Fresno County Coroner said the man killed in the crash was 31-year-old Paul Web from Hanford. Investigators say there were two motorcycles headed North on Auberry Road one car was headed south when one of the motorcycles drifted into the oncoming cars lane.
"The reason he drifted over to the other side is unknown reasons at this point. We're still investigating that," CHP Sgt. Gill Peirsol said.
One of the motorcycles caught on fire and firefighters quickly put it out.
"In these types of crashes, it's hard to too hard to say exactly what causes it but definitely it was on fire," Peirsol said.
CHP said each motorcycle was carrying a female passenger. The driver of the motorcycle that hit the car was killed on scene. His passenger received serious injuries and was airlifted to the hospital. The two people that were in the car were taken to the hospital with minor injuries. The other motorcycle slid after the crash the driver and passenger both were taken to the hospital.
"At this point we don't believe speed played a factor, it just bears repeating to pay attention to what you're doing because even moment's inattention can have disastrous results," Peirsol said.
CHP says all riders on the motorcycles were wearing helmets.
fresno county, auberry, local, anthony pura
- Malaysian official: Investigators conclude jet hijacked
- SW Fresno crash sends 12 people to hospital
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures 42 min ago
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- YouTube: Newborn Gorilla Recovers After Emergency...
- John Hancock observatory in Chicago to Tilt