Teens accused of attacking elderly and homeless in Fulton Mall
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are searching for several teens accused of attacking homeless and elderly victims in Downtown Fresno. The Fulton Mall is a promenade of silence at night. James Guertin often walks his dog in the late hours and rarely sees anyone aside from the homeless that sleep against the buildings.
"It's usually pretty quiet, you never really run into anyone," Guertin said.
On the night of Sept. 20 two homeless men walked into police headquarters to tell officers they were attacked while sleeping in the Fulton Mall. One of them had a stab wound; the other had been shot in the face with a pellet gun.
That same night, someone attacked an 84-year-old man taking out his trash outside the Asia Hotel on the corner of Kern and G streets. Police say he was shot in the hand with a pellet gun. The victims described their attackers as Hispanic teens wearing dark clothes and riding bicycles.
"It is kids doing stupid stuff I guess what are they gonna do late at night," Morgan Doizaki from Central Fish Company said.
Doizaki's family owns Central Fish Company. The company is located across the street from where the 84-year-old man was shot in the hand. Doizaki often leaves work late, but isn't worried about the random attacks.
"I still feel safe, I wouldn't have my grandmother come over here at night, but in the daytime its fine, business is booming," Doizaki said.
The 16-year-old suspect is being charged with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon. Meanwhile, downtown residents like James Guertin hope the other teens are found, and taught a lesson.
"It's terrible, can't say I'm not surprised though, it's really the parenting is what it comes down to," Guertin said.
Police said the victims are fine and only had just some stiches and bruising. Officers are still looking for the other teens involved. They believe they are 13 to 18-years-old. If you have any information you're asked to call the Fresno police department immediately.
fresno, fresno county, fresno downtown, homeless, local, anthony pura
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe