Man fatally shot protecting brother during restaurant robbery
HOUSTON -- At least one person is dead after a robbery at a restaurant in southeast Houston. The victim was shot while coming to the aid of his brother.
Right now, police are still sorting out what happened at the Mah Express on Griggs and Calhoun. So far, they know the restaurant was just opening up around 10:30am Monday when the owners, two brothers, were robbed. Both were shot, one fatally.
According to HPD homicide investigators, the armed suspect walked into the front door and fired a warning shot into air. The cook in the kitchen heard it, ran out the back door and called 911. The cook told police he then heard two more shots. The surviving owner was shot in the hip. He's at Ben Taub General Hospital. His brother died trying to save him.
"His brother ran to his aid try to attack the gunman; gunman opened fire, striking brother in the chest, killing him," HPD Homicide Lt. John Zitzmann said.
Police say two witnesses outside the restaurant saw the suspect take off, across the Auto Zone parking lot in a white SUV, possibly a Ford Expedition.
The suspect was described as a black male wearing a Boston Celtics baseball cap.
About three miles away, there was a fatal car accident involving a white SUV. Investigators with HPD homicide and the traffic division are looking into whether the two are connected.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, sonia azad
- Harlem explosion, collapse leaves 2 dead, 22 hurt 41 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting
- Fresno County man arrested after running from deputies 3 min ago
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends