Man fatally shot protecting brother during restaurant robbery
HOUSTON -- At least one person is dead after a robbery at a restaurant in southeast Houston. The victim was shot while coming to the aid of his brother.
Right now, police are still sorting out what happened at the Mah Express on Griggs and Calhoun. So far, they know the restaurant was just opening up around 10:30am Monday when the owners, two brothers, were robbed. Both were shot, one fatally.
According to HPD homicide investigators, the armed suspect walked into the front door and fired a warning shot into air. The cook in the kitchen heard it, ran out the back door and called 911. The cook told police he then heard two more shots. The surviving owner was shot in the hip. He's at Ben Taub General Hospital. His brother died trying to save him.
"His brother ran to his aid try to attack the gunman; gunman opened fire, striking brother in the chest, killing him," HPD Homicide Lt. John Zitzmann said.
Police say two witnesses outside the restaurant saw the suspect take off, across the Auto Zone parking lot in a white SUV, possibly a Ford Expedition.
The suspect was described as a black male wearing a Boston Celtics baseball cap.
About three miles away, there was a fatal car accident involving a white SUV. Investigators with HPD homicide and the traffic division are looking into whether the two are connected.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, sonia azad
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery 20 min ago
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified 47 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies