Surveillance video sheds new light on alleged road rage crash that killed mother, injured son in east Harris County
CROSBY, TX -- We're learning more about an alleged road rage crash that killed a mother and seriously injured her son in east Harris County this weekend. Surveillance video caught the moments just before and after the tragic accident.
Tania Vercher posted a photo online over the weekend of her kissing her two-year old son A.J., whom family members say she adored.
On Sunday, the young mom was killed in a wreck on FM 1942. Harris County Sheriff's Office deputies say she was an innocent victim in an alleged act of road rage.
"All you hear is, you know, the roar of an engine, going 'whoooo,'" witness Chris McCoy said.
McCoy said he was working steps away, outside Bob-n-Jean's Bar, when Emil McMahon was allegedly recklessly driving a black truck that crossed the road into Vercher's car.
"He took an innocent woman's life over stupidity," McCoy said.
Deputies said McMahon was trying to run his own wife and child off the road when the crash happened.
"He and his wife had an argument before leaving the house down the road. She decided to take her child to church, and he chased her down the road. He tried passing her, and he was swerving over to hit her and lost control of the vehicle," McCoy said.
McCoy and several others rushed to help out Vercher and her little boy after their car went airborne and caught fire. In surveillance video, you can see McCoy carrying little A.J. and giving him CPR before emergency workers arrived.
"When we got him over there, I started giving him mouth-to-mouth, and his foot started twitching and I continued to give him mouth-to-mouth until the paramedics came, and they actually took over the compressions and everything there," McCoy said.
A.J. was last listed in critical condition.
Vercher's pastor described her as a devoted mom and spirited woman.
As for McMahon, deputies say criminal charges are pending blood test results.
Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for updates.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch