Surveillance video sheds new light on alleged road rage crash that killed mother, injured son in east Harris County
CROSBY, TX -- We're learning more about an alleged road rage crash that killed a mother and seriously injured her son in east Harris County this weekend. Surveillance video caught the moments just before and after the tragic accident.
Tania Vercher posted a photo online over the weekend of her kissing her two-year old son A.J., whom family members say she adored.
On Sunday, the young mom was killed in a wreck on FM 1942. Harris County Sheriff's Office deputies say she was an innocent victim in an alleged act of road rage.
"All you hear is, you know, the roar of an engine, going 'whoooo,'" witness Chris McCoy said.
McCoy said he was working steps away, outside Bob-n-Jean's Bar, when Emil McMahon was allegedly recklessly driving a black truck that crossed the road into Vercher's car.
"He took an innocent woman's life over stupidity," McCoy said.
Deputies said McMahon was trying to run his own wife and child off the road when the crash happened.
"He and his wife had an argument before leaving the house down the road. She decided to take her child to church, and he chased her down the road. He tried passing her, and he was swerving over to hit her and lost control of the vehicle," McCoy said.
McCoy and several others rushed to help out Vercher and her little boy after their car went airborne and caught fire. In surveillance video, you can see McCoy carrying little A.J. and giving him CPR before emergency workers arrived.
"When we got him over there, I started giving him mouth-to-mouth, and his foot started twitching and I continued to give him mouth-to-mouth until the paramedics came, and they actually took over the compressions and everything there," McCoy said.
A.J. was last listed in critical condition.
Vercher's pastor described her as a devoted mom and spirited woman.
As for McMahon, deputies say criminal charges are pending blood test results.
Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for updates.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law 52 min ago
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge 57 min ago
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Sal's prepares holiday tamales
28 min ago
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos