Friends, family remember 18-year-old killed in Katy-area roadway shooting
HOUSTON -- Mourners gathered Monday night to remember a man who was gunned down in his own truck Saturday in west Harris County.
More than 100 people showed up to the vigil that was set up less than 50 feet away from where the victim was murdered.
Hand in hand, candle to candle they mourn the death of 18-year-old Shelly Wilson.
"You never expect to bury one of your own children before, this early," Wilson's aunt, Cathy Talley, said.
Wilson was killed at the busy intersection of Fry Road and Younglake Boulevard on Saturday afternoon. Investigators say he and another man got into an argument at a nearby business. The suspect allegedly then shot Wilson several times and then drove off.
"Trying to think of what could we have done, what could we have changed, what could we do to bring him back," family friend Jessica Garcia said.
Investigators say passersby found Wilson's body in his truck. By the time they got him out, he was dead and the suspect was gone.
"You've seen it today, we all loved Shelly. He's everything to us, and I know that deep down he's watching over us each and every day," family friend Areanne Garcia said.
Wilson's impact is undeniable. More than 100 people came out to the vigil, many in tears. They say they will be back when the suspect is caught.
"We're not giving up. We're going to keep on searching until justice is served. All of us here at the circle who lit our candles will be standing at the courtroom to see justice be served when it's time," Jessica Garcia said.
Anyone with information regarding the suspect is asked to contact authorities.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, pooja lodhia
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather
- History of snow in Fresno and Porterville
- Madera man accused of murder faces unique circumstances
- Good Sports: Coach Mark Rogers
- Red Wave Gets To See Carr One Last Time
- Tips to keep cars running during cold weather
- Three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- North Korea deports elderly Bay Area man
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation