Freeport police shoot, kill suspect during gunfight
FREEPORT, TX -- Freeport police say a suspect was shot and killed during a gunfight with officers Tuesday evening.
Police received a call around 6:55pm about shots fired in the 700 block of West 6th Street. Officers responded to the scene, and as they were talking to witnesses, one of them pointed out the suspect's vehicle as it drove by.
Officers followed the vehicle to the intersection of Cedar and West 8th Street and ordered the suspect to show his hands but he refused. As officers opened the suspect's car door, he pointed a gun at them and opened fire.
At least three officers fired their guns back, and the suspect was shot and killed. None of the officers were injured.
The incident is being investigated by Brazoria County Sheriff's Office and the Texas Rangers, and the Freeport Police Department is assisting in the investigation.
Right now, police are not releasing the name of the suspect. He's been described only as a Hispanic male between the ages of 20 and 25.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos