Freeport police shoot, kill suspect during gunfight
FREEPORT, TX -- Freeport police say a suspect was shot and killed during a gunfight with officers Tuesday evening.
Police received a call around 6:55pm about shots fired in the 700 block of West 6th Street. Officers responded to the scene, and as they were talking to witnesses, one of them pointed out the suspect's vehicle as it drove by.
Officers followed the vehicle to the intersection of Cedar and West 8th Street and ordered the suspect to show his hands but he refused. As officers opened the suspect's car door, he pointed a gun at them and opened fire.
At least three officers fired their guns back, and the suspect was shot and killed. None of the officers were injured.
The incident is being investigated by Brazoria County Sheriff's Office and the Texas Rangers, and the Freeport Police Department is assisting in the investigation.
Right now, police are not releasing the name of the suspect. He's been described only as a Hispanic male between the ages of 20 and 25.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Ryan Rodriquez found safe in Fresno County
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000 13 min ago
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Walking Dead actress admits sending ricin to Obama
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Farmers markets hit by freeze
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- Holiday season cookies and cocktails
9 min ago
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos