Funeral services held for Pete Mehas
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Family members followed the casket into the ornate church where Pete Mehas grew up, and served as an altar boy.
The church was filled to capacity and overflow crowds were seated in adjacent buildings and even outside, where they listened to the ceremony.
Longtime friend Jack Fowler told Action News, "Pete's Pete, and he will be greatly missed, I mean, he just always had that great outlook on life. Great family, good family man, just, I don't know, great guy."
Pete Mehas was also a teacher, coach and administrator of schools in Fresno and Clovis.
Keith Eubank serves on the Fresno County Board of Education, and was there while Mehas was Superintendent.
"That was his number one priority, the education of all kids. As a board member at the Fresno County Office of Education he was a true friend. And a great example and he was a leader."
During his career Mehas served as an education advisor to California Governor's, and served on several state and national education boards and commissions. He was a member of the California State University Board of Trustees.
Fresno School Superintendent Michael Hanson described Mehas as a friend and a mentor, to him, other educators, and a man who dedicated his life to serving the entire community.
"Irreplaceable, so this is a person you don't talk about trying to fill shoes, you just have to acknowledge we've lost an irreplaceable great human being who touched a lot of lives."
Pete Mehas passed away last Saturday from a sudden heart ailment. He was 73-years-old. He is survived by his wife, two daughters and two granddaughters.
fresno, fresno county, local, gene haagenson
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for jet with 239 aboard 32 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos