Halfway meet bikers stress understanding after Calwa shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Sheriff's deputies are looking for suspects in shootout that happened early Saturday morning and left one person dead and a dozen others injured. The gun battle out took place at Pullman and Calwa at the Soul Brothers Motorcycle clubhouse.
Hundreds of bikers gathered in Fresno from all over the state for the annual Halfway Run. They say the shooting that happened outside the Soul Brothers clubhouse gives motorcycle clubs a bad reputation.
During the Halfway Run motorcycle clubs from the Northern and Southern California meet halfway in Fresno. Bikers at the event wanted everyone to know police said their gathering did not have anything to do with the shootout in Calwa.
"It's a family thing and we're here right now and we have barbeques, everything we can do, we try to stay positive in the community," said Kim Cloud with Eastside Dragons Motorcycle Club.
Just about every biker at the Halfway Run heard about the shootout at the Soul Brothers clubhouse. Police say there were more than 500 people at the Soul Brothers Motorcycle clubhouse for a dance. The dance turned violent and left one person dead and a dozen more injured. Those that were injured sustained minor to critical injuries.
Investigators say the shootout started inside the building then continued outside down Calwa Avenue between Pullman and Cedar. The motorcycle club members didn't want to comment specifically about the incident. But they say people shouldn't assume the Soul Brothers Motorcycle Club is to blame.
"That is not us at all. Most of the time it's not biker involvement, you know sometimes other people that linger on to the set and mess it up for everybody," Harley Drew said.
"A lot of times, it's not the bikers. It's the civilians from outside that comes in and does those types of things," Cloud said.
More than a 100 deputies, CHP and police responded to the overnight shooting, detaining about 100 hundred people for questioning, but no arrests were made.
"What happened last night was very tragic and my heart goes out for them," Cloud said.
No arrests have been mad for the shooting that happened at the Soul Brother clubhouse. If you have any information, you're asked to call the Fresno County Sheriff's office.
fresno, good news, local, anthony pura
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno 21 min ago
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard