U.S. Ag department issues health alert for three Valley Foster Farms facilities
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A health alert has been issued by the U.S. Ag department in connection with an illness outbreak caused by Foster Farms chicken products contaminated with salmonella.
Authorities say the products came from three faster farms facilities here in the Valley, two in Fresno and one in Livingston in Merced County. The products were mainly distributed to retail outlets in California, Oregon and Washington State.
More than 270 illnesses have been reported most of them in California and health officials say the outbreak is continuing. Consumption of food contaminated with salmonella can be life-threatening, especially to those with weak immune systems, such as infants and the elderly.
At this point in the investigation, FSIS is unable to link the illnesses to a specific product and a specific production period. Raw products from the facilities in question bear one of the establishment numbers inside a USDA mark of inspection or elsewhere on the package:
The most common symptoms are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever. For more visit www.fosterfarms.com or call Foster Farms at 800-338-8051 to learn more. Stay with action news and abc30.com for any updates on the story.
food safety, central valley, fresno, fresno county, local
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos