U.S. Ag department issues health alert for three Valley Foster Farms facilities
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A health alert has been issued by the U.S. Ag department in connection with an illness outbreak caused by Foster Farms chicken products contaminated with salmonella.
Authorities say the products came from three faster farms facilities here in the Valley, two in Fresno and one in Livingston in Merced County. The products were mainly distributed to retail outlets in California, Oregon and Washington State.
More than 270 illnesses have been reported most of them in California and health officials say the outbreak is continuing. Consumption of food contaminated with salmonella can be life-threatening, especially to those with weak immune systems, such as infants and the elderly.
At this point in the investigation, FSIS is unable to link the illnesses to a specific product and a specific production period. Raw products from the facilities in question bear one of the establishment numbers inside a USDA mark of inspection or elsewhere on the package:
The most common symptoms are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever. For more visit www.fosterfarms.com or call Foster Farms at 800-338-8051 to learn more. Stay with action news and abc30.com for any updates on the story.
food safety, central valley, fresno, fresno county, local
- Woman killed in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting 33 min ago
- Man shot in the chest in Parlier; 1 person detained 29 min ago
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse 53 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Man shot in the chest in Parlier; 1 person...
29 min ago