Jury deadlocked in attempted murder trial
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Jurors are deadlocked in the attempted murder trial against a Fresno woman accused of trying to kill her parents.
Lisa Alarcon, 25, is accused of shooting her mother and father through their bedroom window as they slept last August.
Tuesday afternoon, the jury sent a note asking the judge what happens if they can't agree. In other words, they're deadlocked right now. But the judge isn't ready to declare a mistrial just yet.
The trial has lasted three weeks and jurors have been deliberating Alarcon's fate since Monday afternoon.
Prosecutors hung their case on a neighbor who says he saw Alarcon walk up to the house and start shooting. Much of what he told police was backed up by physical evidence. But defense attorney Scott Baly argued the street was dark and the neighbor misidentified the shooter.
Jurors asked to hear some of the neighbor's testimony again, then asked for some of the testimony from Alarcon himself. But late Tuesday afternoon, they sent the note saying, "What happens if we can't agree?"
"If they're just wanting to know or if they're at an impasse, the judge gave them additional instructions on that issue and then basically asked them to sleep on it tonight," said Baly.
Jurors told the judge they've taken two votes so far.
If they can't reach a unanimous decision, the judge would eventually declare a mistrial and they'd have to start all over again with a new jury. That process could go quickly, or it could take a year or more.
Alarcon faces life in prison if she's convicted, so there's a lot on the line.
crimetracker, shooting, court, fresno, fresno county, local, corin hoggard
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals