Fresno City College student tearfully describes alleged attack by professor
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno City College student who says she was attacked by a professor gave a tearful play-by-play of the March incident during trial Wednesday.
Former Fresno city council member and FCC professor Brian Calhoun is on trial for misdemeanor battery.
Kevynn Gomez faced the man she says attacked her and laid out the case against him. The 20-year-old admits to cursing at Calhoun as she left a classroom because he had interrupted a test. She says the 69-year-old then grabbed her arm. Gomez says she tried to fight her way out.
"He was pulling me towards the classroom and that is when I hit him in the face," she said.
"Why did you do that?" asked prosecutor Mike Brummel.
"Because I wanted to get free," Gomez said.
But Gomez said Calhoun pinned her against a wall and threw her to the ground before other people pulled him off. Calhoun's defense attorney claims his client was just doing his duty after she cursed at him -- he just wanted to report her to school administrators.
"His intent was simply to obtain her name so that he could report her for her disruptive and inappropriate and disgusting behavior," said Roger Nuttall.
Nuttall said Calhoun never meant to hurt Gomez and only responded in self-defense because she punched him and broke his tooth and his glasses. But legal analyst Ralph Torres says it may come down to whether Calhoun made the first physical contact.
"The mere fact that somebody cusses at you or says something you don't like is not enough to put your hands on her and they're going to have to deal with that as a defense," Torres said.
11 witnesses described the scene to police, including two students who testified Wednesday. Both said Calhoun body slammed Gomez.
Calhoun is expected to take the stand in his own defense.
crimetracker, fresno city college, court, fresno, fresno county, local, corin hoggard
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai 28 min ago
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos