Sanger man found shot and dead shortly after celebrating son's birthday
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Sanger police interviewed two suspects as they looked for a motive in the city's latest murder. They are also working to track down at least one suspect, who managed to get away early Monday morning. Investigators say someone shot and killed 26-year-old Jose Velazquez just after midnight on K Street near Fifth Street.
The victim's widow said Sunday was a fun filled day celebrating her son's 3rd birthday. The entire family was home, preparing to end the night, when Jose Velazquez was shot to death.
A cross formed with candles marks the spot family members say 26-year-old Jose Velazquez fell on his porch then died early Monday morning. The father of six opened his front door to a knock. Seconds later, his widow says he was shot.
Sanger Police Chief Silver Rodriguez said a witness saw the suspects drive away. The alert citizen provided police with the vehicle description that minutes later led to a traffic stop in Parlier.
"Some men ran from the vehicle during the stop but two men have been taken into custody from that at this point are believed to be involved in the sanger incident," Rodriguez said.
Investigators have not identified the wanted suspects or the ones in custody, but police say a gun was found in the area where the car was pulled over.
A weapon was found near the vehicle in Parlier. Whether or not it's connected to the actual shooting, we don't know that at this point," Rodriguez said.
The victim's loved ones describe Velazquez as a hard worker who sold clothes and other items at the Cherry Auction Swap Meet. His children say he was a great salesman and many others were envious of his success. But, they have no idea who would be angry enough to go to his house and shoot him with his family steps away.
Investigators say this shooting may be gang related. The victim's family members are now raising money to send Velazquez's body back to Mexico. If you have any information about the murder please call Sanger police.
sanger, fresno county, crimetracker, shooting, murder, local, sontaya rose
- 2 dead after ferry sinks off South Korean coast
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- Action News talks with Mrs. California
- Disaster relief for cattle ranchers
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region