A Fresno elementary school gets sprayed for bed bugs
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno elementary school is back to work after bed bugs showed up on students and inside a classroom. Over the weekend, the campus of Olmos elementary was sprayed. Tiny bed bug parasites caused serious concern among some parents after bed bugs were discovered on students and in a classroom at Olmos Elementary School.
"That's real scary because you never know if it's contagious like that. You know it could jump from one kid to the next or throughout the whole school and contaminate the whole school," said parent Kenneth Smith.
Over the weekend, Fresno unified hired a pest control company to spray the entire school and a nearby apartment complex, where they believe the pests came from. Local exterminator bob hill has been dealing with pests for 25 years. He did not work on the school, but knows the challenges of fighting the pest.
"Because they hide and they're really, really hard to get rid of, so multiple treatments that's why it's so expensive," said Bob Hill, B&D Pest Control Owner.
Hill says besides seeing the bug there are other signs that you could be dealing with the pest.
"Getting bit by bugs, blood on the mattresses, stuff like that, don't wait get on it as fast you can," Hill said.
District officials say they feel they have been proactive, spraying down the campus and alerting students and parents. For now, they plan to monitor the situation and hope the bed bugs won't return.
fresno, fresno unified school district, local, amanda venegas
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting 30 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe 34 min ago
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Chowchilla
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD...
34 min ago