Nick's bar has troubled past, Fresno police say
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are hot on the trail of a killer. Right now they're serving search warrants and leads following the murder of a father of seven. Branden Cervantez, 30, was shot and killed outside Nick's bar back in September. Fresno police say this is not the first time that they've had problems at Nick's.
In fact, Action News learned officers were at the scene of the crime just hours before the shooting happened. The manager of Nick's Bar tells us he's frustrated and feels like his business is getting a bad rap following what happened on September 27th.
That's when police found Branden Cervantez with several gunshot wounds. The father of seven died at the hospital. Investigators say the 30 year old tried to break up a fight between two women and somehow ended up getting shot in the alley behind the bar. Police recently revealed that this is not the first time they've been to Nick's bar.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said, "It just so happens on the shooting at Nick's bar that turned out to be a murder our policing officers were out there the day before working with the bar owner."
The Chief says his officers had repeatedly been called to the bar because of gang members, excessive drinking and assaults. There were so many, that they called a meeting, asked the bar owners to sit down and discuss ways in which they could prevent problems. Late into that evening and hours after they left, Branden Cervantez was killed.
Chief Dyer said, "That's not good for the patrons coming there and certainly not good for our city and we're taking steps to eradicate that."
As for the bar owners they tell ABC30 the problem lies with the neighborhood that surrounds the establishment, and that their business should not be blamed. But if you ask the Cervantez family, they tell Action News while nothing will bring the young father back they wish that something had been done to prevent his death.
Police are still working to make sure there aren't future problems at the bar.
crimetracker, fresno police department, murder, shooting, fresno, fresno county, local, stephanie stone
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 48 min ago
- AP: FBI investigates prison company 32 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase