Marjaree Mason Center honors 2013 top ten businesswomen
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Hundreds gathered in Downtown Fresno Friday to honor the work of some of the most accomplished women in the Valley. Every year the Marjaree Mason Center recognizes the top ten professional women and business who not only make an impact where they work, but on their community as well.
A healthy lifestyle should start before you have to step foot in the doctor's office. That is the approach at Avecinia Wellness Center in Clovis where fitness instructors, physicians, massage therapists, and acupuncturists all work side by side.
"It's the east mixing the west, prescription medications all have side effects so our goal was to educate them in forms of diet and exercise and using the whole body concept," Dr. Unaiza Hayat with Avecinia Wellness Center said.
For many of Unaiza's patients her approach is simple but revolutionary.
"Our goal is to help empower women of the Central Valley through health and wellness," Dr. Unaiza said. .
Dr. Hayat is one of the recipients of this year's Marjaree Mason Top Professional Women and Business Awards. The women who received the award were honored for their achievements in their fields while also giving back to the community.
Among the honorees, Christa Short, Executive Director of Terry's House a place where families can stay while their loved ones receive treatment at Community Medical Center.
"Just puts a little more wind in your sails and recognizes and pushes you forward to continue doing it," Short said.
Kathryn Weakland of the Poverello House also received the award. As Director of Development and Communications, she organizes fundraisers and events to help feed the hungry.
"I am a firm believer of collaboration; every nonprofit can touch each other's lives in a way. The clients you take in may need help from another nonprofit," Weakland said.
No matter their field, from banking to medicine to education, the women who received the award are female leaders. The women are carrying on the Marjaree Mason Center's Mission to extend a helping hand to anyone in need.
The Marjaree Mason Center offers shelter and supportive services to victims of domestic violence. October is domestic violence awareness month. ABC30 was a proud sponsor of the event.
fresno, fresno downtown, good news, local, christine park
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos