Two Coalinga men die in crash along Highway 198, west of Interstate 5
COALINGA, Calif. (KFSN) -- An early morning crash along a section of a Highway 198 killed two Coalinga men Saturday. One of the men was a Lance Cpl. in the Marine Corps Reserve
The victims' Family members said the driver and passenger were close friends, almost brothers. The men were headed to grab a late dinner with friends at a Denny's near Interstate 5. They were only a mile away from the restaurant when the accident happened.
CHP said the car accident may have been caused by the driver losing control.
"Were perhaps traveling an excess of that allowed the vehicle to drift off the road and caused them to flip over a few times," Ryan Pedersen with the California Highway Patrol said.
Alfredo Moreno, 21, was driving. Family members said Moreno was a Lance Corporal in the Marine Corp Reserves. Moreno's close friend, 20-year-old Ramiro Contreras, was in the passenger seat. Both men died on scene.
""It was a difficult time for them and it was a difficult time for us to have to experience their anguish and pain," Pedersen said.
CHP said Saturday morning's fatal accident adds to the number of recent deadly accidents along Highway 198, West of Interstate 5. "Unfortunately we had a fatal collision involving some young female students out of the Coalinga area and a young man out of Coalinga as well," Pedersen said.
But authorities say it has less to do with the safety of the road, and more to do with drivers thinking they know the curves and driving too fast through it.
"There's efficient signage there and the roadway is in excellent condition, we encourage everyone as always do, to wear your seatbelts try and slow down those advisory signs are there for a reason," Pedersen said.
The California Highway Patrol said one of the men was not wearing a seatbelt and are still investigating the accident.
coalinga, accident, local, anthony pura
- Pedestrian killed in Fresno HWY 99 hit and run
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington 34 min ago
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes 40 min ago
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case 5 min ago
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash 14 min ago
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos