The Central Valley Inaugural Honor Flight takes off
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Today is a momentous day for some World War II veterans from the Valley. Their service and sacrifices are being honored as they take off on the trip of a lifetime -- on the Central Valley's Inaugural Honor Flight.
Today is a momentous day for some World War II veterans from the Valley. Their service and sacrifices are being honored as they take off on the trip of a lifetime -- on the Central Valley's Inaugural Honor Flight.
On Tuesday, some members of the "greatest generation" will head on a three day trip to our nation's capitol. Last week we sat down with three people going on the Central Valley Honor Flight. People like Fresno resident Homer Acosta. More than 60 years after World War II, he still remembers his days as a U.S. Coast Guardsman.
Bill Bromm, 89, still remembers the day he was given a bag and gun -- just before he jumped into a war zone. Bromm says he is excited. The trip even more meaningful because he never got a homecoming.
More than 140 people will be on the trip including veterans and guardians. The trip will take the veterans and guardians to the World War II Memorial and to other memorials.
Organizers say the trip will cost about $1,500 for each veteran. They hope to raise a total of $100,000.
ABC30 will continue to follow the Central Valley's first Honor Flight journey from Fresno to Washington D.C. and back. Action News anchor Warren Armstrong will be on the trip with the veterans. And you are invited to give the veterans a heroes homecoming Thursday, October 31st at 4:15 p.m.
Watch the videos above for more.
fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, fresno-yosemite international airport, good news, honor flight, local, amanda venegas
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach 25 min ago
- Two killed in shooting near Exeter
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Police say 5 dead in Calgary stabbings
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- China's growth slows to 7.4 percent in 1Q
- Bank of America posts loss, hurt by legal expenses