Deadly home invasion investigation leads to major drug bust
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno County Sheriff's deputies found nearly three hundred pounds of processed marijuana at a home and a business near Orange Cove.
Narcotics detectives found more than $1 million worth of processed marijuana when searching a property on the 6900 block of S. Wakefield Ave. near Orange Cove, Monday evening. Deputies got a search warrant for the property after responding to a deadly home invasion call Sunday night around 9 p.m.
"During the initial search, at the scene approximately 100 pounds of marijuana was found and seized," Lt. Gregg Andreotti of the Fresno County Sheriffs Department said. "Subsequently our narcotics detectives wrote and served a search warrant and found an additional 200 pounds in an out building next to the residence."
The building is an office that houses a roofing business, but deputies say it was apparent it was dedicated to processing the marijuana.
Investigators have not found a motive for the Sunday night home invasion, when at least two people wearing masks and claiming to be law enforcement officers broke into the home and got into a shootout with the homeowner. The homeowner shot and killed one suspect, but he was wounded during the gunfight.
The 30-year-old homeowner has under gone surgery and is in critical condition. Deputies are looking for a possible second suspect.
This is the second marijuana related death deputies have worked along S. Wakefield Avenue. On October 13th, Deputies were called to a home less than a half a mile away; after a body was found at a marijuana grow.
Neighbors who did want to be identified say it is shocking and worrisome.
Deputies say marijuana possession and production tends to attract violence. "In the Fresno county area we have seen an increase in the violent crimes associated with the production and possession of marijuana and this is an example of what we have seen a lot of," Andreotti said.
Deputies have not said whether or not they will file drug charges in this case.
Action News reporter Sontaya Rose contributed to this story.
fresno, fresno county, orange cove, homicide, home invasion, marijuana, drug bust, local, anthony pura
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Red Wave Gets To See Carr One Last Time
- Tips to keep cars running during cold weather 40 min ago
- Three missing Dinuba children found safe 1 min ago
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- North Korea deports elderly Bay Area man
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera