Man crashes stolen Honda Civic in Merced River during pursuit
MERCED COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- One man is in custody following a pursuit with the highway patrol that ended with the car in the Merced River. It happened in Merced County just outside of Cressy near Winton.
The CHP says the suspect in this chase drove down a dirt road and launched a stolen Honda Civic over a 50 foot cliff right into a river.
Investigators say the driver had to be rescued from the river by the Merced County Sheriff's dive team.
Witnesses say the car cleared a tall tree and appeared to roll several feet down river before coming to a stop right side up.
The driver claimed he had someone else in the stolen car with him when he crashed but investigators say they did not find another person.
We'll have more information when it becomes available.
local, rick montanez
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service 58 min ago
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Drought may impact farmers market prices 27 min ago
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- Accuweather Forecast
5 min ago