New braided ramps section opens in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Monday was the first day new lanes of the braided ramps project in Fresno were put to the test. Drivers heading from Highway 168 to Highway 41 can now bypass Highway 180.
"I might try it. I didn't know it was open. As long as the signs are good for 41 South, I won't go off in the wrong direction," Cathy Kimmel from Clovis said. The change takes drivers on 168 and gives them two options. Drivers have an option to take the 168 to the 180 Westbound or the 41 South.
"From 168 Westbound you can now stay in this new ramp and go directly to 41 North without getting on 180 at all," Caltrans Project Manager Neil Bretz said.
Those on the 180 also noticed a connector bridge to the 41 North. The California highway patrol says even with the changes, no crashes were reported.
"So far everything has been pretty smooth, were very with the response the public has given us," Bretz said.
The traffic flow is expected to stay the same for the next month. Caltrans officials say drivers can expect another change starting the next month on Eastbound Highway 180. That change to the freeway should be in place after Thanksgiving.
The $49-million state funded project was started last year and is expected to finish in the spring of 2014.
Construction workers plan to make several more switches before their work is complete. Until then, either avoid to area, or just make sure you slow down.
fresno, fresno county, clovis, traffic, travel, local, amanda venegas
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge 25 min ago
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?