Fresno girl awarded free braces
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Winning awards at school can do wonders for kids' self-esteem but sometimes it can also be life-changing. A shy 12-year-old girl named Perla Delgado will now sport a lifetime smile.
Perla wasn't sure why she was being escorted across campus at Baird Middle School in Northeast Fresno. The 7th grader was overwhelmed by the attention.
Delgado received a $5,480 scholarship from the local Smile for a Lifetime chapter. Perla said she applied because she wanted braces.
"Because my teeth are really crooked and I wanted a better smile," Perla said.
Perla's proud parents were on hand for the surprise announcement. Twelve lucky kids in the Valley will earn free braces this school year.
Smile for a Lifetime chapter president Mischelle DiCiccio said, "We got several letters of recommendation that showed she was responsible and that she was committed to working hard. She loves to go volunteer and volunteering is a big portion of the smiles for lifetime program."
Scholarship winners are required to put in 40 hours of community service but Perla's got a head start. Perla explained, "I used to go volunteer in the summertime at a place called the Holy center for women. We clean the center for the women and then I pass out food for them."
Baird teacher Patricia Robillard wrote a letter of recommendation for Perla. She said, "She very much deserves it. She is a very hard worker and she has high goal and high motivation and to see her gain her some more self-confidence is what I want for her."
Mischelle DiCiccio's husband Pat is an orthodontist, who along with other members of Smile for a Lifetime, donate their time. She said, "Pat was given the gift of braces by a local orthodontist, which totally changed his life and because of that he wanted to pay it forward."
Perla now has even more reason to flash her pretty smile.
Smile for a Lifetime continues to take scholarship applications for free braces. To apply click on the link below visit diciccioortho.com/content/smile-lifetime
fresno, volunteer, local, dale yurong
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed 37 min ago
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident