Police arrest Fresno's number one car thief
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police tracked down the number one car thief at a home in Southeast Fresno Wednesday and made a major discovery. Police caught up with 37-year-old Raymond Luna at a home on Fourth and Braly after officers spotted him in a stolen pickup truck and followed him
It all started around 1:30 Wednesday afternoon when a detective with the Fresno Police Department's Career Criminal Auto Theft Task Force spotted Luna in a stolen Chevy Pickup and followed him to a home in Southeast Fresno.
"We've been looking for Luna for several months. He's very elusive and so it's great we got him in custody and this is why. He doesn't just give up. He runs, he hides," Sgt. Tim Tietjen with the Fresno Police Department said.
When officers approached the house Luna was nowhere to be found.
"He had tried to conceal himself somewhere in the backyard, we couldn't find him," Sgt. Tietjen said.
That is when they sent in a police k-9 and the dog discovered Luna hiding underneath a blanket in a doghouse in the backyard. While Luna was transported to the hospital with an unknown injury police began searching the home and were surprised by what they found next.
"Right behind me there's numerous car parts, engine parts, there's a stolen vehicle in the driveway as well as the one he drove up in," Sgt. Tietjen said. "This is great, I'm ecstatic about this because what this does is it not only do we get the top number one car thief in the city off the streets, but we find two stolens and we find a chop shop. This is going to make an incredible impact on our community," Sgt. Tietjen said.
An incredible impact because police say Luna was stealing between five and eight cars a night. Officers are hoping to keep him in jail by placing him in one of five beds the county recently promised the police department.
"We're looking at phase one those top five beds and getting those five most prolific individuals in a cell immediately," Sgt. Tietjen said.
Authorities say methamphetamine is the driving force behind most thefts.
fresno, fresno county, local, linda mumma
- Deputies shoot, kill suspect west of Fresno
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 27 min ago
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche 39 min ago
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 21 min ago
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge 54 min ago
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game 6 min ago
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong...
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos