Police investigate murder-suicide in Northwest Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A newlywed couple was found dead in a Northwest Fresno home. Detectives are calling the crime an apparent murder-suicide. A relative found the husband and wife both shot to death in a home on Celeste near Bryan, shortly after 12 p.m. Saturday.
Family members say the man and woman had only been married for a few months. And they seemed like they were in a happy and healthy relationship. Family members are devastated and have more questions than answers.
Family and friends huddled together outside their loved one's home as police looked for clues into what led to the deadly shooting. Police found a gun in the home but have not said who the victim was and who the suspect was.
Sukhbar Bhandal said his nephew, 33-year-old Harmandeep Singh, was the man found dead inside the house along with his wife, Kirandeep Kaur.
"He was a really nice guy, he was religious. He used to tie turban, he is very soft spoken and he was always to himself," Bhandal said.
He says the couple got married in India a few months ago and Harmandeep recently brought his wife to Fresno, expecting to start their life together.
"The family is devastated. He was the only son. And it's a big, big loss to the family," Bhandal said.
Neighbors were surprised to hear what happened; they say violence is out of character for the couple.
"I'm still in shock I don't know what happened I didn't hear any gunshot or anything going," neighbor Jarnail Gill said.
Family members say the couple showed no signs of a troubled relationship.
"I spoke with his sister, she was telling me as a couple they were very happy, and laughing, like regular couples, she never saw that this could happen to them," Bhandal said.
Police say the last time anyone saw the couple was Friday afternoon, so the couple could have died last night or this morning.
fresno, fresno northwest, murder-suicide, local, anthony pura
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto 3 min ago
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Murderer apologizes for killing pregnant woman
- Mother of 2-year-old that died faces felony charges
- Who will be Mayor?
- Residents concerned over proposed chemical warehouse
- 16th-century manual shows 'rocket cat' weaponry
- Buchanan High percussionist to play at Carnegie Hall
- Photos: Selfless acts that will brighten your day
- Fresno mayor seeks state controller position