Foul play not suspected after body pulled out of San Joaquin River
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police say foul play is not suspected after a body was found in the San Joaquin River.
A witness spotted the man floating East of the Palm and Nees access gate to the river, just after 7 a.m. The Fresno Fire department took the lead in recovering the victim from the water. Detectives and the coroner's office did a preliminary examination at the scene. They say the man appears to be about 40 years old, and they believe he was in the water for at least a few days.
Authorities are trying to identify him and figure out how he died. "I'm told a short distance from where the body was found there is a homeless encampment. Whether he's related to that or not we don't know. Whether there were drugs or alcohol involved we're not sure. Just a lot of unanswered questions at this point," Sgt. Alex Flores with the Fresno Police Department said.
Police say they have not had reports of a missing person in that area. They are hoping an autopsy will reveal more information.
fresno northwest, san joaquin river, fresno county, local
- Deputy-involved shooting in Tulare County
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy 34 min ago
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident