Fire causes water damage at Fresno furniture store
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Owners of a local furniture store have some major water damage after a fire late Sunday night.
The fire happened in a strip mall on Blackstone and Ashlan in Central Fresno. Although it started on the outside and spread to one furniture store, firefighters were able to stop it before it spread to the nearby Petco pet store.
The Fresno Fire Department received the call at 11:30 for a building that was on fire. A full commercial response was sent to the scene. When they arrived minutes later, they found an exterior fire on backside of Mervyn's strip mall.
Firefighters quickly put out the fire and noticed water coming from the building. When they got inside, found fire had moved inside the Ideal Furniture Gallery, and the fire sprinklers were going off.
"The majority of damage was actually due to water with the multiple sprinkler heads going off. So it's a furniture store it's got a lot of fire load, it was a lot of material inside and they all got wet," said Bart Burkhart, Fresno Fire Department Captain.
The fire caused about $5,000 in damages, but the water damage is expected to be much more.
fresno, fresno county, fresno central, fire, flooding, local, amanda venegas
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos