Edison High School teacher killed crossing street near Fresno State
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The accident happened at around 6:30, well after dark. Police say the driver of the car did not see Alexander Lark.
Fresno Police Officer Phil Cooley was at the scene Tuesday night. "Right now the preliminary investigation reveals the pedestrian may have walked across the street into oncoming traffic and was subsequently hit."
The driver of the vehicle that hit Lark stopped immediately, and has not been charged with any crime.
Cooley told Action News, "The driver was apparently shaken from this incident and is being evaluated for drugs and alcohol or anything in his system. Right now it does not appear to be."
We spoke with members of Lark's family Wednesday. They were very upset. Said he was going to Fresno State, working on his Master's degree.
Lark was 43 years old. He was employed as a special education instructor at Edison High School. He had been hired this year after working for several years as a special education aide.
School administrators did not want to talk to us, and few students we spoke with even knew what happened. One girl told Action News one of her instructors was upset after learning what happened, and had to leave campus.
The Fresno Unified School District issued a brief statement saying Lark was "well-liked by his students and colleagues."
The location of the accident was on Shaw, near Jackson, about 100 yards east of the crosswalk on Maple. Students going to and from campus seem to frequently cross there and police say it's an obviously dangerous place to cross at night.
fresno northeast, fresno, fresno county, local, gene haagenson
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Search resumes for missing Malaysian jetliner
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting 14 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 47 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- Educators inspiring girls to pursue STEM jobs
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- School running: Keeping kids moving
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos