Two Merced police canines to receive bullet proof vests
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The canines that serve and protect Merced County will now be better protected themselves.
Tyson is one of two dogs at the Sheriff's Office set to receive a customized bullet proof vest. They're coming from a non- profit called "Cover Your K-9." The organization also gave the department three emergency kits. They include a variety of medical supplies to help treat the animals if they're injured in the line of duty. Deputies and their four legged partners received the items -- and training on how to use -- them during a seminar near Sacramento earlier this month.
"We are very proud that we were able to send our officers, along with their partners, up to that special class to get the needed equipment for them to do their job and heaven forbid anything happens, to save their life," Merced County Sheriff Mark Pazin said.
The non-profit relies on donations to provide the bulletproof vests and supplies.
merced, merced county, merced county sheriff department, animal, local
- One person killed in Fresno County crash 3 min ago
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates