Deputies investigate deadly home invasion, robbery in Earlimart
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An Earlimart family is grieving after two men broke into their house on Elm and School Thursday morning. Police say the suspects shot and killed one man then robbed another.
Pablo Carranza's family watched his body taken to the morgue at the time they had intended to give thanks for what they have.
"Our victim answered that door and there was a gunshot fired," said Lt. Kevin Cotton of the Tulare County Sheriff's Department. "As for the motive, we're still investigating that."
Detectives say the shooter and another man came into the house, stole some cash from a second person, and then drove off.
Carranza's mother left the home in tears hours later. Other family member stood outside the house for most of the day as police pulled them aside, one by one, to find out what they saw.
"We're interviewing witnesses now," said Lt. Cotton. "We're trying to determine who the suspects are and where they currently may be."
Deputies describe the suspects as in their late 20's or early 30's, both bald, and driving a pale green, 4-door compact car.
Detectives interviewed more than 35 people, looking for clues. They say the home invasion doesn't appear to be drug related, but they brought out the gang unit to help in the investigation.
Neighbors say they did not hear or see anything in the morning, but they did hear gunshots at about 10 p.m. Wednesday night.
"I can't say for certain those gunshots that were herd last night are connected to this incident. It's pretty common in this neighborhood for gunshots to be fired or heard," Cotton said.
Investigators say Carranza's family and tips from the public are their best hope in finding the men.
local, corin hoggard
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Search resumes for missing Malaysian jetliner 42 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap 19 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Educators inspiring girls to pursue STEM jobs
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- School running: Keeping kids moving
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 41 min ago
- Accuweather Forecast
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos