Visalia's 68th annual Candy Cane Lane Parade sees changes
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The 68th annual Candy Cane Lane Parade saw a few changes this year. The route began at Main Street and Liberty, making the route a little longer. The parade then traveled west on Main to Conyer where it turned south to end at Conyer and Mineral King. The new parade route allowed more room for people to watch the parade.
People reserved their space to watch the 68th Candy Cane Lane Parade in Downtown Visalia hours before it started Monday. This year's theme was "Twelve Days of Christmas" and to accommodate the tens of thousands of people who attended, organizers made the parade two blocks longer. Instead of beginning at Santa Fe the parade started two blocks East on Liberty and Main Streets.
"...on good weather, we got that last year, looks like we are going to get that again this year so we hope there is more space for people to enjoy the parade," Visalia Host Lions Eric Frost said.
Fouty more trees along Visalia's Main Street were lit up this year. Plus the Downtown Visalia property owners have raised more than $20,000 to update the electrical outlets on street lights so the Candy Cane Lane lights don't have to be plugged into Main Street's store
"This year we've actually wired the street lights so we're able to wire them directly to the street lights the existing system was actually put in in 1938 and so it's a very old system and it could not run the candy cane lane lights any longer," Myron Sheklian with the Downtown Proeprty Owners Association said.
This year there are 15,000 more Christmas lights up. Monday's parade started at 7 p.m.
visalia, parade, christmas, good news, local, jessica peres
- Fresno woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Lemoore considers tough water rules 56 min ago
- Suspicious bags found by Boston Marathon scene
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Tulare County-based drug smuggling ring busted
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Photos: Blood Moon seen across Valley skies
- Man rushes past security at Fresno airport
- Photos: Tax Day deals and freebies
- Drivers in California crash had clean records