2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement in Madera County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Two men are in jail accused of firing as many as 40 shots at a Madera County Sheriff's Deputy.
Just before 4 a.m. on Tuesday, a deputy attempted to pull over the suspects in a traffic stop. Instead of stopping, the deputy said the truck took off at high speed. Investigators say Mario Valdez and Abel Ramos shot at the deputy during the pursuit before they veered into a nearby orchard. The two suspects ended up crashing into some trees, then they ran away.
Inside the truck, detectives said they found an arsenal of stolen weapons, ammunition, and a stockpile of camping gear. Investigators said some of the weapons are connected to a residential burglary in Coarsegold.
Valdez and Ramos were eventually arrested at the Days Inn on Avenue 16 and Highway 99.
The deputy was not harmed during the pursuit.
madera, madera county, mariposa county, coarsegold, officer involved shooting, high speed chase, burglary, local
- Perez and Barrera found guilty of 1st degree murder
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital 56 min ago
- Photos: Easter traditions explained
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised 53 min ago
- Yonhap: Captain of sunken SKorean ferry arrested
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas 44 min ago
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up