2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement in Madera County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Two men are in jail accused of firing as many as 40 shots at a Madera County Sheriff's Deputy.
Just before 4 a.m. on Tuesday, a deputy attempted to pull over the suspects in a traffic stop. Instead of stopping, the deputy said the truck took off at high speed. Investigators say Mario Valdez and Abel Ramos shot at the deputy during the pursuit before they veered into a nearby orchard. The two suspects ended up crashing into some trees, then they ran away.
Inside the truck, detectives said they found an arsenal of stolen weapons, ammunition, and a stockpile of camping gear. Investigators said some of the weapons are connected to a residential burglary in Coarsegold.
Valdez and Ramos were eventually arrested at the Days Inn on Avenue 16 and Highway 99.
The deputy was not harmed during the pursuit.
madera, madera county, mariposa county, coarsegold, officer involved shooting, high speed chase, burglary, local
- AMBER ALERT: Boy, 12, abducted in Long Beach 5 min ago
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery