Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Toys for Tots marathon weekend kicked off before the sun came up Friday morning. The event is held in an effort to give Christmas presents to kids in need.
The cold weather could not stop some Valley contractors from playing Santa Claus. The Association of General Contractors made the donations before they headed off to work and to kick start Toys for Tots marathon weekend.
"We know there is a shortage of toys so we just thought this was a good way to get involved and give a little something back. And we're up this early normally," Stephen Dexter, a member with the Association of Local Contractors said.
Organizers say there is a great need for toy donations in Fresno County.
"Eighty-five thousand toys were requested this year. We are a little over 10,000. Marathon weekend is our biggest drive of the year," Staff Sgt. William Cardinal with the Marine Corps League said.
The need compelled Some Action News viewers to act and help the Marines and United Way.
"I thought I can run and get some toys and help this out. It's just a fun exciting time," Robyn Nelson from Fresno said.
Nelson said she hopes to spread holiday cheer by donating to the drive.
"Come down. It's easy to do. Drive through here, it's so easy, doesn't take any time," Nelson said.
The drive is accepting unwrapped toys for children twelve and under. Organizers say every gift, big or small, will make a difference.
"I can't wait for them to come out and step up and help us out, because without them we are nothing. The marine corps league, the toys for toys foundation can't help children in the valley without people from the Valley," Staff Sgt. William said.
ABC30 is a proud sponsor of this event.
fresno, fresno county, good news, local, amanda venegas
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels