Bringing Together the Future event highlights Fresno Hmong culture
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno's Hmong community is reaching out to other residents ahead of the Hmong New Year.
Hundreds of students, parents, and local leaders took part in this ceremony at Vang Pao Elementary School Saturday. Organizers called it the first annual, "Bringing Together the Future" event to highlight the Hmong culture and heritage.
It included a procession of Hmong students playing tradition instruments and a presentation about the Hmong New Year. Organizers say the goal is to include the community in the annual celebration.
"It's a great day, a great event for our students and younger folks," Blong Xiong said.
Several school district trustees and city officials dressed in traditional Hmong attire during Saturday's event.
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Combat vehicles in east Ukraine fly Russian flag 11 min ago
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- Action News talks with Mrs. California 42 min ago
- Disaster relief for cattle ranchers
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- Accuweather Forecast
48 min ago