Merced County attempted murder-suicide sends woman to hospital
MERCED COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Merced County Sheriff's Office is investigating an attempted murder-suicide after they say a husband pulled a gun on his estranged wife.
The shooting happened around 1 p.m. Monday at the Village Green subdivision near Parker Drive and Village Drive in Merced County.
Deputies say the 55-year-old homeowner Steven Mackey shot his estranged wife, Nancy Mackey, during an argument after she and her adult daughter stopped by the home for an undisclosed reason.
Mackey then turned the gun on himself. Neighbors said they heard screaming and were shocked by the shooting.
"I was on the couch and I was actually half asleep watching TV and I heard screaming, so I jumped up and went to the window and the screaming stopped so I thought that I dreamt it, and then I heard sirens and then I looked outside again and saw the cop cars and fire trucks and ambulances and everything," said neighbor Sarah Sofranek.
Nancy Mackey was rushed to the hospital with several gunshot wounds. Steven Mackey was pronounced dead at the home and the daughter was not hurt. Nancy Mackey was rushed to the hospital with several gunshot wounds. Police say she was semi-conscious and communicating but appeared to be in serious condition. Steven Mackey was pronounced dead at the home and the daughter was not hurt.
Deputies are now trying to figure out why the mom and daughter were at the home.
merced county, shooting, local, linda mumma
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals