Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The jury found Stephen Willis 80 percent responsible for the shooting and the officer 20 percent responsible.
A jury has awarded $1.5 million dollars to the plantiff, the family of 23-year-old Stephen Willis. They sued the city and the police department after he was killed by two officers in March of 2009.
Investigators say the officers fired more than forty rounds, hitting Willis 14 times. His family said the officers had no reason to shoot him -- and were seeking damages from the city for Willis' death.
But Willis had a gun, and the officers said they believe he shot it.
The jury found Willis 80 percent responsible for the shooting, and Fresno Police Officer Greg Catton 20 percent responsible. The other officer involved in the shooting was cleared of any wrongdoing.
fresno, fresno police department, local, linda mumma
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Young woman dies in hit-run crash on Highway 99
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack