1 dead, 1 injured in shooting at Vagabond Inn in Southeast Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police are looking for the person who shot and killed a 36-year-old man and attacked his 28-year-old girlfriend. The homicide happened outside the Vagabond Inn on East and Garrett Avenues in Southeast Fresno on Sunday.
Police have not released the names of the suspect or victims involved in the shooting. But officers say the people eating at the Denny's restaurant next door heard several gunshots.
Crime tape surrounded a section of the Vagabond Inn parking lot Sunday afternoon. Before 12:30 p.m. police found a man lying in the parking lot shot several times. He was rushed to the hospital and died shortly after arriving.
"It looks like an associate or somebody he knows shot him for unknown reasons at this time," Joe Gomez with the Fresno Police Department said.
Police aren't sure if the victim was staying at the inn, but they say the victim was with his girlfriend. She was pistol whipped by the shooter, and she was taken to the hospital with cuts behind her head.
The male suspect drove off with an unknown woman in a gray sedan.
"They left in a gray vehicle and we're searching for that vehicle right now, we also have pretty good leads in this case," Gomez said.
A little more than a mile away a police cruiser was outside a home on South Kirk Ave. Police responded to the home less than an hour before the deadly shooting for reports of shots fired from behind the house. Bur police found no victims at the home.
"And as officers were investigating that crime, a shooting came out of here at the lot of the Vagabond," Gomez said.
Police have not revealed why they believe the two cases are related. But they say it may be a personal dispute between the suspect and victim.
fresno, fresno southeast, shooting, crimetracker, fresno police department, local, anthony pura
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos