Fresno Unified School District teacher killed in Northwest Fresno car crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The coroner's office identified the woman killed in a car crash Christmas Eve on Herndon near Brawley.
The coroner said the driver was 55-year-old Karen Bisgaard, who was a fifth grade teacher at Viking Elementary.
The Fresno Police Department is investigating the crash that happened just before 11 a.m. Tuesday. They say Bisgaard was headed West on Herndon when she somehow lost control of her car and hit the median. Bisgaard was then thrown out of the car.
Susan Bedi, a spokeswoman for the Fresno Unified School District said she had taught at Viking Elementary for the past five years.
"She was well liked by her students as well as her colleagues," Bedi said in a written statement. "Please keep her and her family in your thoughts during this very difficult time."
Hymarra Cantu's 10-year-old son was in Bisgaard's fifth grade class. She last talked to her the week before school went on winter break. Their class had a Christmas party.
Cantu learned of the deadly accident Wednesday and has not yet told her son.
"I'll wait till later on, I don't want to ruin his day for him-he's been up early and they've been playing. That's going to take a toll on someone's feelings," Cantu said.
Bedi says the school will be contacting parents of students during Christmas Break. They will also have psychologists on campus for support, when the students return back to class on Jan. 13.
accident, fresno, fresno unified school district, fresno northwest, local, anthony pura
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting 45 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Accuweather Forecast
22 min ago
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related...
44 min ago