Possible Picric Acid Detonated at the City of Visalia Corporation Yard
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A citizen brought in a glass container of possible crystallized picric acid to the County Household Hazardous Materials Waste disposal site located at the City of Visalia Corporation Yard.
Picric acid is primarily used in laboratories as a chemical reagent and mixed with water as a desensitizer. When this material is dried out it can be highly sensitive to heat, shock, or friction. Due to the potential explosive nature of this unconfirmed material the Visalia Fire Department detonated the material on site to dispose of it.
Members of the Visalia Police Department, Fire Department, and the Tulare County Explosive Ordnance Disposal team were notified to assist with the mitigation of the incident.
The material was buried and then detonated and no further action was taken. The hazardous materials waste disposal site was reopened and returned to normal operations.
One fire truck, one hazardous materials unit, and one Battalion Chief responded for a total of 4 fire personnel.
There were no injuries caused by this incident.
visalia, tulare county, local
- Malaysian official: Investigators conclude jet hijacked
- SW Fresno crash sends 12 people to hospital
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer 57 min ago
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder 59 min ago
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures 25 min ago
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- YouTube: Newborn Gorilla Recovers After Emergency...
- John Hancock observatory in Chicago to Tilt