Police investigate Fresno's first homicide of 2014
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- East Central Fresno residents woke up to a crime scene on New Year's Day. It was the aftermath of a New Year's Eve party that turned deadly. Fresno's first homicide victim is an Anaheim man who was in town to ring in the New Year.
Jessica Wills, 23, is in the Fresno County jail and accused of murdering her own friend. Police say it was a party with a lot of alcohol, followed by a fight that turned fatal.
Hours after the deadly fight emergency crews were back at the scene of the crime in front of the Villa Del Sol Apartment Complex, at the 5900 block of Shields Avenue.
Melisa Martin lives at the Complex a few doors down from the condo that the suspect calls home.
"I heard screaming and yelling going down the walkway, close to my bedroom, that's the last thing I heard," Marti said.
Martin said her New Year's Eve was uneventful until she heard those screams.
"It sounded angry. But then I thought, well, people are just partying, but it did sound angry like someone screaming and yelling at each other," Marti said.
Police say it was a celebration that started elsewhere and got violent when the group came back to the apartment complex.
"They were at a party at another location, drinking heavily, doing shots, he was fighting with his girlfriend all night, the information we're getting he was getting physical with her," Fresno Police Lt. Joe Gomez said.
At some point one of the women he was with went in and got a knife. The 31-year-old Anaheim man was stabbed in the chest and stumbled outside, where he later died. Wills is accused of the crime.
Neighbors say she hadn't lived in the complex very long, although they describe her and the woman she lived with as nice people.
"I don't know if both of them are in the military, but one of them is in the military," Martin said.
The 31-year-old victim has not yet been identified, and no word on what that fight was actually about.
stabbing, crimetracker, fresno, fresno county, local, stephanie stone
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher 47 min ago
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting 15 min ago
- Drop in Valley flu cases
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos